Thursday, July 26, 2007

Don't you just hate it when...

Don't you just hate it when you set out to do something simple...something...trivial, and it turns into a royal pain in the ass?

Such was my experience today installing the speed/temp sensor on the boat. It goes like this:

1) Place sensor body in position, and use its screw slots as a template, and mark the hull for drilling of the 4 screw holes.

2) Drill screw holes, and run screws in flush to make sure they go in far enough.

3) Place sealant in screw holes, and coat screws with sealant.

4) Align sensor back in its mounting location, and screw in screws. Double-check that sealant is where and how it should be.

5) Route cable to your sonar per your application.

Done, right? WRONG! Enter the drill bit that broke in step 2 after 3 of the 4 holes were drilled. I have no explanation of why the damn thing broke, I was drilling into fiberglass ever so slowly and carefully. Not only did it break, but it broke and left about 4 MM of bit sticking out of the hull. Not alot to grab onto with a vice grip, and not enough to chuck into the drill to reverse it out. After several hours of tapping it with a trim nail hammer it finally came loose enough to come out with a vice grip. What a PAIN IN THE ASS. I had to remind myself that the sensor cost me a 13 bucks and some change when it should have cost 60-ish dollars, to keep from throwing things. I'll appreciate seeing my speed when cruising/temp for fishing that much more, I expect.

No comments: