Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Current and future plans for the boat...

Right now, the highest priorities are to get a cover for the boat, get the tilt and trim fixxed, and to make known the status of the oil injection on the merc.

Before we took it out the first time, I wasn't sure if the oil injection worked or not. The boat has a built in gas tank, so I took some out and it looked sure enough to be mixxed gas. I assumed since there was mixxed gas in the tank, that the oil injection was non-functional for some reason. I got my hands on a service manual for the merc 115 off ebay, and planted my nose in it on and off...even now its sitting in front of me. At this time I have confirmed that the oil pump is still on the motor, that the linkage rod from the carb to the oil pump is still there and connected, and that the oil lines appear to be intact. Circumstantial evidence of the engine smoking more than it should leads me to suspect that the oil injection is indeed functioning. That however is not enough for me to trust it just yet. To replace the motor...would cost more than we paid for the whole works, so I would rather be 100% sure.

To test the oil pump, I will need a graduated container, and an accurate tach. I can get the container easy enough, but an accurate tach, I am not so sure of. The boat has a tach, but I am uncertain of its accuracy. The procedure is to have mixxed gas in the tank, have flush hooked up to the motor, disconnect oil output hose from the fuel pump, plug that fitting on fuel pump, remove link rod end from the oil flow regulator, rotate oil pump regulator to wide open position, attatch tach, place output line into graduated container, and run engine at 700 rpm for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the container should have 25.5 cc of oil in it at the minimum, though that amount is based on a 70 degree f temperature. The manual states that temps cooler OR warmer than that will result in LESS oil pump discharge. Thats something I intend to talk to a mercury tech about next time I get a chance.

1 comment:

saphirz said...

your blog looks good babe!!